LMB (was Re: [DWJ] Burbling and an introduction)

Thu Jul 12 11:50:17 EDT 2007

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:23:55 -0400 (EDT), deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Ian W. Riddell wrote:

>> It's just one word, really: "Shopping."
>
>Ah, yes.  My housemate and I can quote that entire scene at each
>other.
>
>Actually I have many quotable favorites from LMB, though most of
>them are schmaltzy.
>
>"The one thing you can't trade for you heart's desire is your
>heart."
>
>or
>
>"Only clay, son.  Only clay.  Not fit for so golden a sacrifice."
>(Like "shopping", that one is more great in context than out of
>it.)

I like Aral's quote (repeated second-hand) about how reputation is what
other people know about you, but honor is what you know about yourself.
Along those lines, anyway.

I was congratulating myself the other day on how many people I (directly)
had addicted to Bujold's books--seven or eight, including the one who is
either strong-willed or pig-headed enough not to read any of them if he
can't get them as a recording, and then who knows how many indirectly from
that point.  And then being grateful to the college roommate who in her turn
gave me _Barrayar_, in serialized form, missing the second part but still
wonderfully satisfying.

Melissa Proffitt