LMB (was Re: [DWJ] Burbling and an introduction)

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 14:20:44 EDT 2007

I'll put my 2 cents in for _not_ starting with "Memory". It's actually my
favorite of the series, but I think it would lose it's profound emotional
impact without the stories leading up to it.

I'd argue for chronological order. That can mean starting with the first
Miles book and "Warrior's Apprentice" or starting with the two Cordelia
books before that, kindly collected into one volume now as "Cordelia's
Honor". One of the best lines in the whole series is in there (which I won't
spoil unless someone asks me to) and some important background for some
things that happen in the early Miles books.

I started with "Cordelia's Honor" and have been hooked ever since.

Actually, that's not quite true. I read "Ethan of Athos" years ago and
enjoyed it - but didn't hunt down the rest - even then it felt peripheral.

I've read the whole series 3 times now and am trying to restrict myself to
doing that no more than once a year. I truly lose myself when I'm in that
world.

widdy