[DWJ] Crown of Dalemark question

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 11 12:06:19 EDT 2007

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 estairm at yahoo.com wrote:

> Okay, then, I have a question to get things going.
> I just re-read The Crown of Dalemark.  SPOILER

> .

> .

> .

> .

> .

> .

> .

> .

> .

> .

> .

> .

> .

> In the scene where Alk uses the truth-verifying Cup to
> eliminate suspects in Noreth's death -- how did he
> eliminate Maewen? He DOES include her in the suspects
> at the beginning.
>
> I think he asks Moril, Mitt, and Navis directly if
> they did the deed, they answer, and are vindicated.
> But Maewen just verifies her identity and then gives a
> true and then a false statement without any bearing on
> Noreth's death.
>
> Am I missing something?

What I think is that he doesn't ask Maewen whether she did it because
by the time she's handed the cup he already knows she didn't. And I
think that what convinces him is her reaction to the news of Noreth's
death. A really clever murderer might have tried pretending to be
upset like that, but Alk the lawman would be able to tell the
difference.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."