[DWJ] Burbling and an introduction

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 11:45:06 EDT 2007

On 11/07/07, Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) <Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com> wrote:
> Juliette asked:
> > I'd like to try LMB books. Which is the best to start with?
> Other than that, all I can really say is don't start with "Ethan of
> Athos".

Presumably because it's just so completely different from the others.
It's actually worth warning people about this: the story is indeed set
in the same universe as the others, but the "major protagonist" of the
series makes no appearance. It's told from the point of view of
someone who is very much on the outside looking in, and as such is not
necessarily completely consistent with the others, for very good
reasons.

It does however contain certain nuggets of information which might
come in very handy when reading some of the later "main sequence"
stories, so don't write it off (I'm referring to "Mr T" for those who
have read it;-)

In the same category you might find "Falling Free", which is even more
removed in that it pre-dates the other stories by about four
centuries. It does however do a very good job of setting up some
long-distance story-lines which again come in handy later on.

HTH HAND
--
Phil