[DWJ] Burbling and an introduction

Kyla Mackay-Smith kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Jul 11 07:24:18 EDT 2007

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, Juliette Curtis wrote:

> I'd like to try LMB books. Which is the best to start with?

If you want to start with fantasy, try _Curse of Chalion_, which, contrary
to Philip's experience, I (and my mother, and my sister) absolutely adored
the first time we read it.

If you want to start with science fiction, go for _Shards of Honor_ (also
the first half of the compilation _Cordelia's Honor_), because Cordelia is
a fabulous character. I know that plenty of people read things out of
order, but I really like reading things in order; and I sort of feel that
you need to know how Miles Vorkosigan was before _Memory_ can really have
as big a punch. And my favorite section of the whole series is the run
from _Memory_ through _Komarr_ to _A Civil Campaign_, so I really think
those should be read in order, but of course, YMMV.

And Melissa, I really enjoyed your first HP essay, so I'm really looking
forward to the rest of them. :^)