[DWJ] Changing a kids' book for a different country, mark II

Jennifer Rowland janamouse at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 11 07:23:58 EDT 2007

I was reading The Phantom Tolbooth today (an old Doubleday edition) and was
surprised to notice that a few words at the beginning- before Milo goes
through the tollbooth- had been changed to British English- elevator to
lift, apartment to flat, and freeway (or highway, I guess) to motorway. All
the references to dollars, and American-style counting, [1] and grammatical
things were unchanged.
It just amused me, as we're used to hearing about changes the other way.
Jennifer
[1] "nine hundred ninety-nine" rather than "nine hundred and ninety-nine".