[DWJ] Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (spoilers, like you care)

Jennifer Rowland janamouse at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 11 07:10:53 EDT 2007

Melissa wrote:
[a long and interesting essay that I'm replying to one small point in!]
>  My final analysis is that she didn't know
>what she wanted the book to be, and ended up with a strange mixture of
>styles that has got to be annoying to experienced readers of fantasy.  It's
>probably fortunate that it *is* a juvenile, because that age group is less
>likely to be put off by conflicting elements; they take things as they
>appear.

Ah, maybe that's why I like the books; I'm an experienced reader of fantasy
(adults', YA and childrens's), but also of non-fantasy children's books, so
perhaps the first chapter tripped enough of the Dahlesque
humourous-children's-book-with-fantasy-elements switches that my reading
protocols were set for that, rather than for fantasy as such.
Jennifer