[DWJ] Political issues

Sally Odgers sodgers at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 9 22:08:33 EDT 2007

> Of the three, my least favorite was _Queen_, because I felt Ms. Turner
> spent way too much time explaining political issues.  _Way_ too much.

This is a common problem in political fantasy. It's a kind of fascination
with worldbuilding. I did a political fantasy (a very short one) called
Lilly of Mirryam, and had to be quite firm with myself. And I don't even
LIKE politics. I think the fascination in the literary sense lies in seeing
things from all angles. The politics in HOWL isn't overdone... which other
DWJ books have politics (other than family politics) in them? Um... I
suppose Fire and Hemlock has some, at a stretch, and Deep Secret, certainly.

Sallyo