[DWJ] (now with F&H spoilers)

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Thu Jan 25 12:03:25 EST 2007

In a message dated 1/25/2007 7:56:50 A.M. Pacific Standard  Time, "Charles
Butler" _charles.hannibal at gmail.com_ (mailto:charles.hannibal at gmail.com)
writes:

Being a  Garner fan as well as a DWJ one, I think it would be interesting to
compare  Ivy and Laurel with Nancy and Margaret in *The Owl Service*. These
too are  thwarting, manipulative mothers, distinguished by class and
competence: one  a housekeeper every bit as resentful and jealous as Ivy, the
other the lady  of the Big House who uses guilt as a tool to keep others at
her beck. They  also have more than a hint of goddess in them (the goddess in
this case  being Arianrhod).

Actually, I can't imagine why this didn't occur to me  before.

You'll have to expand _Four British Fantasists_. Which I've just  bought, by
the way -- saw it at the American Library Association midwinter  conference
(which was here in Seattle -- a friend of mine wangled me a free pass  to the
exhibit hall) and said Ooh! Ooh! I know that man, I do! I hadn't enough  money
for it *and* the book of essays on the Psammead trilogy, alas. Anyway, I  liked
it very much, and will try to write more later about exactly why.

Was it Evelyn Waugh who had an eccentric uncle who used to write him after
each of his books was published and say "I suppose you are aware that there are
 typographical errors on the following pages"? (without saying ANYTHING else
about whether the book was good or bad)

Helen Schinske