[DWJ] (now with F&H spoilers)

Charles Butler charles.hannibal at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 12:26:28 EST 2007

Being a Garner fan as well as a DWJ one, I think it would be interesting to
compare Ivy and Laurel with Nancy and Margaret in *The Owl Service*. These
too are thwarting, manipulative mothers, distinguished by class and
competence: one a housekeeper every bit as resentful and jealous as Ivy, the
other the lady of the Big House who uses guilt as a tool to keep others at
her beck. They also have more than a hint of goddess in them (the goddess in
this case being Arianrhod).

Actually, I can't imagine why this didn't occur to me before.

Charlie

Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk