[DWJ] sentimental drivel (was:rediscovery of a book (now with F&Hspoilers))

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue Jan 23 14:18:18 EST 2007

Philip said...

>FWIW, I don't think Laurel is sentimental.  But I agree she uses
>sentiment to manipulate people, largely by appearing sentimental.

Yes, definitely.

Laurel isn't even faintly sentimental herself.  But she *is* one of the most
manipulative people ever, and she uses sentimentality as one of her tools
with which to manipulate others.

She knows that Polly has "an annoying tendency to soft-heartedness", and
that (like many teenage girls) she has sentimental tendencies, so she coldly
and deliberately plays on those aspects of Polly's nature to manipulate her
into letting go of Tom.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
http://dorianegray.livejournal.com

"When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it."
- Bernard Bailey