[DWJ] sentimental drivel (was:rediscovery of a book (now with F&H spoilers))

Ika Willis blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 07:44:07 EST 2007

Drivel! Of course! Thank you.

> FWIW, I don't think Laurel is sentimental.  But I agree she uses
> sentiment to manipulate people, largely by appearing sentimental.

Thanks for that, too - that clarified something for me. I associate Laurel
very strongly with a particular evil member of my family, and I was trying
to write something about that in my last post but I couldn't formulate it
properly. You're absolutely right, I think - if Laurel *were* sentimental,
she would herself be susceptible to Sentimental Drivel and therefore a much
less formidable opponent. Whereas she's a very clear thinker, not at all to
be muddled or confused by Drivel - you can't actually *be* sentimental if
you're going to use Drivel to manipulate other people, because it would
muddy your own machinations.

(Though in real life a lot of people [like my own evil relative] *are* both
manipulative and woolly-minded/confused. Maybe that's why Laurel's such a
glorious baddie: that degree of pure, clear-headed manipulation isn't seen
that often, I don't think. Or not by me.)

Love, Ika