[DWJ] Petition on school libraries

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sun Jan 7 18:52:03 EST 2007

On Jan 6, 2007, at 2:26 PM, Elizabeth Bentley wrote:

> On 4/1/07 22:42, "Minnow" <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> You did know that the Downing Street site tries to put cookies into
>> your
>> computer, or some such?  This causes mine to crash -- hard to do to an
>> ancient Mac, but it does it.  One of the reasons I don't do web.  I
>> was
>> quite surprised that I could get to their site at all, actually,
>> because
>> what usually happens if I take Netscape to a Guvmint site is a simple
>> blank
>> page and a sort of perpetual attempt to do something, which goes on
>> until I
>> close down Netscape altogether and wander away in disgust to play
>> patience
>> or something.
>>
>> (I have this theory that the Netscape I use is so old that when faced
>> with
>> a cookie it thinks it ought to try to bake it.)
>
> I'm sorry for the crash. No, I wasn't aware of the cookie problem, but
> it
> does sound as though it is a problem for your Netscape which, as you
> say, is
> inherent in using the web. Dare I suggest that you think about buying
> a new
> Mac? I love my new one as much as I loved all the older ones.

I'm a MacPerson myself.  And I would certainly recommend any Mac
up to the Intel based ones.

But I treasure Minnow's status as our resident Luddite.

There’s no sense in pretending that grown-up
sons and daughters are still babies and that they
need you. They don’t. Let them do their own
sinking or swimming while you indulge in a little
fancy diving.

—actress Marie Dressler