[DWJ] Petition on school libraries

Elizabeth Bentley elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com
Sun Jan 7 12:31:23 EST 2007

On 7/1/07 07:43, "Farah Mendlesohn" <farah.sf at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/01/07, Elizabeth Bentley <elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com> wrote:
>> On 5/1/07 10:44, "Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale)"
>> <Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com> wrote:
>>>
>> To be honest, I hope that just as teaching, at least in state schools,
>> requires a professional *teaching* qualification (rather than a lawyer's or
>> an accountant's),
>>

> It doesn't you know,. This is a very common misapprehension. What *is*
> compulsory is the new working with children clearance. But I if I had
> that, and I could persuade a school to take me on, there is not a
> thing in the world that would make this illegal.

This does not appear to be true any more.

"To teach in a state school or a private special school you must have
Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). QTS is not a requirement for teaching in
independent schools, but it will give you more scope for developing your
career."
http://www.learndirect-advice.co.uk/helpwithyourcareer/jobprofiles/profiles/
profile820/

"To teach in a state-maintained school you will need qualified teacher
status (QTS), achieved through completing initial teacher training (ITT) and
demonstrating that you have met the required standards."
http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/thetrainingprocess/achievingqts.aspx

What is now being increasingly done is to employ non-qualified staff to
cover classes, but these are technically taught under the supervision of a
teacher, who sets the work and assesses it. There are also people employed
as 'instructors', who are paid on a different scale.

EB
Elizabeth Bentley
mailto:elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com