[DWJ] Petition on school libraries

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Jan 4 17:42:14 EST 2007

>On 04/01/07, Elizabeth Bentley <elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com> wrote:
>

>> <<http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/schoollibraries/>>
>>
>> We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to make the provision of
>> professionally staffed libraries within all schools, both secondary and
>> primary, statutory.

Farah wondered:

>Not to be too controversional Elizabeth, but why?
>
>The library at my school was run by one of the English teachers. She
>was fabulous and an inspiration.

I ran the one in my primary school for the last year I was there...  I
doubt if I was inspirational or fabulous, but we got a lot of books that
people actually wanted to read, as a result of my doing it.

Later on at the end of my school career *I* got a lot of books I actually
wanted to read as a result of getting involved in running the school
library, and thereby having first dibs on the books they'd decided to get
rid of because people weren't borrowing them any more.

You did know that the Downing Street site tries to put cookies into your
computer, or some such?  This causes mine to crash -- hard to do to an
ancient Mac, but it does it.  One of the reasons I don't do web.  I was
quite surprised that I could get to their site at all, actually, because
what usually happens if I take Netscape to a Guvmint site is a simple blank
page and a sort of perpetual attempt to do something, which goes on until I
close down Netscape altogether and wander away in disgust to play patience
or something.

(I have this theory that the Netscape I use is so old that when faced with
a cookie it thinks it ought to try to bake it.)

Minnow