[DWJ] Petition on school libraries

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 17:23:31 EST 2007

On 04/01/07, Elizabeth Bentley <elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com> wrote:

> <<http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/schoollibraries/>>
>
> We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to make the provision of
> professionally staffed libraries within all schools, both secondary and
> primary, statutory.

Not to be too controversional Elizabeth, but why?

The library at my school was run by one of the English teachers. She
was fabulous and an inspiration.

If this isn't jobs for the boys/girls you'll need to explain why a
librarian's qualification is a necessity for a school library.

To put my query in context: I am watching with alarm the growing
demand for vocational MAs for roles that, when I left school at 18,
were A level or first degree entry. While I can see that in some areas
it might genuinely mean enhanced skills, in many others I see a way to
close off social mobility by demanding qualifications that working
class children can't afford to buy, but which offer few enhancements
that could not be secured through in-job training and experience.

Farah