[DWJ] Heyer...

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Wed Jan 3 18:00:55 EST 2007

Minnow <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:>Oh, yes: someone I know is a Heyer fan.  Pat Wrede's *Mairelon the
>Magician*, the chaotic scene at the end when practically the entire >cast
>end up in one room with a wromantic girl fainting and the villain
>more-or-less twirling his moustaches and holding them all at gunpoint >with
>less and less chance he can go on doing so.  If that bit doesn't owe
>something to Heyer, I'm a banana.

I discovered Wrede early in my teens and Heyer a little later, and after getting a taste of Heyer I was delighted to realize PCW's obvious homage.

As far as favorites go, both my first Heyer and the latest one I've read tend to remain my favorites.  My mother read Friday's Child aloud to me when I was 17 (she was sick and wanted something to do, and I still love being read to!).  I have a great fondness for Hero and her hero -- although for the life of me I can't remember *his* name, just hers.  I also recently reread Bath Tangle, after a friend compared me to Serena and I responded indignantly that I couldn't stand Serena.  After rereading BT, I have to say that I like Serena a lot better than before, and the similiarities between me and that character are definitely there.

EGH