[DWJ] Best Books of 2006 (complete with silly categories, and much longer

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Wed Jan 3 03:56:17 EST 2007

On Tuesday 02 January 2007 22:49, Minnow wrote:

> What's more, one of Ma's cousins had an entire wall of her basement
> kitchen painted with blackboard paint so that people could draw on it
> without feeling guilty.  The room was so dark anyway that having one
> black wall didn't make too much difference, and having people drawing
> in there livened up the cooking process for her, she said.

I'd paint the inside of the kitchen door with blackboard paint if I was
in the habit of keeping it closed. As it is, I only close it when
cooking something that would otherwise stink up the whole house for
days. (I'm not really claustrophobic, but I don't like small enclosed
spaces)

> Maybe I just see chaos as normal, at least in that respect and in the
> inappropriate foodstuffs area.

Oh yes. My friends call me organised because I can cope with the
schedule imposed by school, work, choir, two daughters' sport, one
daughter's music, but I don't think it's *that*, it's just being
functional.

> Ma used to have supper-picnics for us
> in summer, so that my father could come on the picnic too after work,
> and some of the food we took on those was definitely eccentric.

I'm married to someone with a huge sense of propriety; it's usually fun
but it does mean that when he's along on a trip we have sit-down meals
(eccentric or not), and when it's only the girls and me we eat whatever
is convenient wherever we want.

   Irina
http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 24-Dec-2006