[DWJ] Best Books of 2006

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Wed Jan 3 09:52:47 EST 2007

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Farah Mendlesohn wrote:
|> Yes, I hated ACC until I realized that it wasn't a romance novel.
|> Once I read it as a novel instead of a romance, I loved it.
|>
|> -deborah
|

|Not a romance? It's the most intensely romantic book in her entire
|ouevre.

Sorry, I meant that while it's a romantic novel (and, I agree, a
really lovely story about love and romance), it's not a genre
romance.  Part of the satisfaction of the romance novel comes
from the generic conventions -- and ACC defies them left, right,
and center.  The hero expects the genre romance plot to come
true, but the satisfaction of ACC comes from the heroine's slow
convincing of the hero that real life is more satisfying than
genre love.

Heyer has a lot of unusual heroes and heroines -- The Grand
Sophy is a prime example -- but the narrative structures still
usually follow generic conventions.  ACC is different, and I
think is a not a genre romance at all.

-deborah
--
I'm not a roman, mum, and I never will be. I'm a kike, a yid, a
heebie, a hook-nose, I'm kosher, mum. I'm a red sea pedestrian, and