[DWJ] Best Books of 2006 (complete with silly categories, and much longer than it should be )

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 03:01:10 EST 2007

On 02/01/07, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:

> One of the things that makes it hard for me to re-read Fire & Hemlock is
> that I can't tell whether the bits in the center, where people who we
> are led to believe care about Polly are completely oblivious, like Gran.
> The level of denial there from a caring adult is much more than I can
> believe in.

Except that it is very hard for someone else to interfere. The sad
fact is that however unhappy or abused a child is, taking them away
from their parents is frequently more hurtful.

It's also pretty terrible if a grandparent does try to interfere: I
spent pretty much my entire childhood as the rope of in a tug of war
between my mother and my maternal grandmother.

[As an aside, the weirdest thing about this is the toddler
pictures--clearly I had a twin because there is one set of a child
with straight hair in blue rombers, and another set of a child with
very curly hair in pink dresses.]

Farah