[DWJ] Best Books of 2006

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 02:44:27 EST 2007

> On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> |>Well, there's _A Civil Contract_, which is pretty horrible.
> |
> |It's not a Wromance, I agree; but don't you find the fact that Adam
> |hasn't married the appalling cow he was infatuated with, and that he and
> |his wife are obviously going to be happy together even if they aren't
> |living in a perpetual white heat of adolescence, comforting in its own
> |way?
>
> Yes, I hated ACC until I realized that it wasn't a romance novel.
> Once I read it as a novel instead of a romance, I loved it.
>
> -deborah

Not a romance? It's the most intensely romantic book in her entire
ouevre. I never recommend it for a "first Heyer"  but it's far and
away my favourite. It's a romance of the every day, yes, but that's
what gives it its power. You *know* that this marriage, of all the
ones we've seen, will grow more loving by the day, and that by the
time they are in old age they will radiate love and create a loving
space all around them. Their children will respect them, their
grandchildren adore them.

Farah