[DWJ] Best Books of 2006 (complete with silly categories, and much longer

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 2 15:37:51 EST 2007

>Which helped me put my finger on what I  didn't really like about the
>books:
I didn't believe them.  They seemed to me to be pretending to be realistic
fiction when what they are is fantasy.  I felt like the Casson books are
about some sort of idealized version of chaos, in which it's okay to paint
on walls and eat porridge for dinner and have your sister stow away in
someone's car halfway to Italy--and this bothered me not so much because I
support some sort of notion of Order Above All, but because I didn't
_believe_ it.  It is chaos without a cost, really, a sort of idealized
individualistic order.

I'll give you the stowing away part, but I really have to ask, wha's so
unbelievable about the other examples? What's so terrible about having
porridge for dinner, as long as it doesn't happen every day? Lord knows I've
had it, and my parents were pretty responsible people. As for painting on
the walls, I wrote stuff on mine, and the cat clawed on then, and they
didn't come tumbling down because of it.

Painting the hamster's soles as Caddy did troubled me a bit, but then, I
bounced mine on the bed and taught them how to swim in the sink, so I
shouldn't throw stones...

Katta