[DWJ] Heyer...

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Jan 2 14:36:49 EST 2007

>>I just read *Bath Tangle* over the weekend, thinking if Bujold likes
>them, they must be OK. Very Austen-ish. OK for a fast fun read.
>
>Mary Ann G

Yup, that's exactly what they are for!  Though if that appealed to you as a
reason to look at another, I'd suggest avoiding *Cousin Kate*, at least at
first,  because although it's very funny in places it's Heyer's attempt at
Gothic, and it doesn't really come off.  The madness is entirely
unconvincing.

And *Regency Buck* has an awful lot of Regency Guide-Book Info-Dump,
sometimes even verbatim being read out by the heroine to her younger
brother!  It was Heyer's first Regency, and she hadn't quite finished
inventing *her* "Regency" and was still trying to include a bit too much
"history".

OTOH the two that are really historical, *The Spanish Bride* and *An
Infamous Army*, give one all the detail about the Peninsular Campaign and
the run-up to Waterloo without being that heavy-handed, and the three were
published
Regency Buck            1935
An Infamous Army        1937
The Spanish Bride       1940