[DWJ] Best Books of 2006 (complete with silly categories, and much longer than it should be )

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jan 2 11:22:35 EST 2007

> 'Children of an orderly home will probably enjoy the chaotic family
> life, where Rose can draw on the walls and eat porridge for a random
> meal. But I am not sure that children from a dysfunctional background
> will enjoy it at all.'

You know, that's why I like the series-- because it captures, for me,
both the discomfort and the good times of being part of a messed-up
family that still has a strong emotional bond and can have fun with one
another.

Looking at DWJ's reminiscences, and at _Time of the Ghost_, I can
completely see why she finds the enjoyment, the humor and the toleration
for parental idiocy in these books unrealistic and utterly painful.

I feel the same way about the Exiles, myself: the outright neglect and
what I would consider abuse from adults that goes right through the
story gives me the chills, in a way that other books of the same genre,
such as Magic Summer by Streatfeld and Linnets and Valerians by Goudge
don't.

The big difference I see is a message from the adults in the story that
it is all right to be a kid, and that you are loved the way you are. I
don't see that in the Exiles, and I don't see that in Time of the
Ghost.

Rose is a much more adult type of character even in Saffy's Angel, and I
knew even then that it would someday come to a showdown with her father.
I especially liked the tension between the belief that her father would
solve the problem, and the underlying doubt based on her learned
cynicism about the man.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net