[DWJ] my years best list

Anita Graham amgraham at it.net.au
Tue Jan 2 06:22:30 EST 2007

Farah Mendlesohn wrote:
> Truly, these are simply the books which lingered in my mind. There are
> others which I enjoyed, but these are the five which I kept mentioning
> to people:
>

> Reeve, Philip. Larklight, or, the Revenge of the the White Spiders! Or
> to Saturn's Rings and Back! A Rousing Tale of Dauntless Pluck in the
> Farthest Reaches of Space. As Chronicl'd by Art Mumby with the Aid of
> Mr. Philip Reeve. Trans. And Decorated Throughout by Mr. David Wyatt.
> London: Bloomsbury, 2006.

Farah,

Could you explain more about why you liked Larklight?

I read the above and since I had the book by my bedside this morning I
decided to begin it again.  It was readable enough, but at the end of it
I couldn't see anything that lifted it above similar books.

Books that seem to me to be in the same vein are "The Greatest Show Off
Earth" by Margaret Mahy, "Attica" by Gary Kilworth and "Ichabod Hart and
the Lighthouse Mystery" by James Roy. I could probably add to these, but
the Victoriana, sibling innocents abroad and strange invaders all seemed
very familiar.

The illustrations too follow in the footsteps of the Lemony Snicket
illustrator (and the Spiderwick Chronicles) and many others. Nice, but
not outstanding.

I must have missed something somewhere so I look forward to hearing how
it made its mark on you.

thanks,

Anita Graham