[DWJ] Best Books of 2006

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Jan 2 04:29:03 EST 2007

In <2c299dfcfaf032ef26b73e8048edda1c at silverwinggraphics.com>, Otter Perry wrote:

>On Dec 29, 2006, at 4:07 AM, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>
>> Definitely interesting!  There's one Wodehouse that I think is one of
>> the funniest books ever written, and the rest I can take or leave
>> alone;
>> there are probably seven or eight of his works in the house, none of
>> them Jeeves.
>
>Which Wodehouse?

*Mike*.  It's the combined school career of Mike, and I think was two
volumes originally, but I had it as a single volume when I was a child
and it does hang together as a single text.

>> The Heyer/Bujold thing also interests me, because I certainly didn't
>> have them bracketed together in my mind as having a shared sort of
>> humour: Bujold's on record somewhere as saying that her method of
>> plotting involved working out the worst possible thing that could
>> happen
>> to a character and then doing it to them to see how they coped (or
>> words
>> to that effect) and Heyer doesn't seem to me to have any of that
>> feeling
>> in her work at all.
>
>Well, there's _A Civil Contract_, which is pretty horrible.

It's not a Wromance, I agree; but don't you find the fact that Adam
hasn't married the appalling cow he was infatuated with, and that he and
his wife are obviously going to be happy together even if they aren't
living in a perpetual white heat of adolescence, comforting in its own
way?  I do.  The one I dislike is *Regency Buck*, in which I see no
particular happiness for the future, since neither of the main
characters is apparently going to grow up (and then in *An Infamous
Army* that seems to be confirmed).

But yes, Heyer did put Adam through the mill in *A Civil Contract*, and
Jenny too, the one because he is denied his heart's desire, and the
other because she is granted her wish but not its entirety.

Minnow