[DWJ] Neal Stephenson and Philip Pullman

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Feb 20 19:20:21 EST 2007

On Feb 19, 2007, at 8:56 AM, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

>> Most recently I read _The Diamond Age_.  I found it uneven
>> and not entirely successful, but quite interesting.
>>
>> Am I the only person in the world who got a sort of Philip
>> Pullmanish feel from it?  There are some quite striking
>> similarities in the situation of young woman on quest, I
>> thought.  And I imagine the Victorian stuff reminded me.
>
> I considered Philip Pullman reminiscent of both Mark Helprin's
> _Winter's
> Tale_ and Stephenson's _Diamond Age_ when I read the first book.

Hmmm.  It's been decades since I read _Winter's Tale_, though
it's a book I haven't parted with.  I'll have to get started again.

When a distinguished but elderly scientist says that something is
possible, he is almost certainly right. When he says it is impossible,
he is very probably wrong.

                                       -- Arthur C. Clarke