[DWJ] Neal Stephenson and Philip Pullman

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Feb 19 10:56:47 EST 2007

> Most recently I read _The Diamond Age_.  I found it uneven
> and not entirely successful, but quite interesting.
>
> Am I the only person in the world who got a sort of Philip
> Pullmanish feel from it?  There are some quite striking
> similarities in the situation of young woman on quest, I
> thought.  And I imagine the Victorian stuff reminded me.

I considered Philip Pullman reminiscent of both Mark Helprin's _Winter's
Tale_ and Stephenson's _Diamond Age_ when I read the first book. I've
never had the impulse to read the second book, and now I'd have to plow
through the first book again and start over. I thought it was just a
common SteamPunk theme, but I may be wrong.

(Our Miss B, age 8, was taken to see Bridge To Terebinthia this weekend
by friends-- she's still away on sleepover. Since I hated the book with
a screaming passion, I'm no judge but I wonder if she will come back
with nightmares. She happily reads _Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire_
but worries about reading _Little House on the Prarie_ because she felt
Disney's film adaption was too scary to finish.)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net