[DWJ] Neal Stephenson and Philip Pullman

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sun Feb 18 20:00:42 EST 2007

I was introduced to Neal Stephenson by this list.   Thanks ever so.
I read the Baroque Trilogy with huge enjoyment, partly because of
having done a lot of history of science in college.

Then I tried to read _Cryptonomicon_ but didn't get into it.  It
had too many familiar names and themes.  But more on this later.

Then I didn't read any Stephenson for ages and ages.

Recently I read _Zodiac_, which I enjoyed.  So I charged on and
tried Cryptonomicon again and got right through it.  And
enjoyed it.

Most recently I read _The Diamond Age_.  I found it uneven
and not entirely successful, but quite interesting.

Am I the only person in the world who got a sort of Philip
Pullmanish feel from it?  There are some quite striking
similarities in the situation of young woman on quest, I
thought.  And I imagine the Victorian stuff reminded me.

Any thoughts?

I believe I found the missing link between animal
and civilized man.  It is us.

                                -- Konrad Lorenz