[DWJ] Marcus (was:Pinhoe Egg, Ember Crinkle (Minor spoilers))

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Thu Feb 15 04:50:36 EST 2007

Otter dug out a very old post by me:

> > But Marcus Green's (in SWM) are worth the effort to translate.  I've
> > done almost all of those, now...
>
> I'd be interested in seeing these.  I have had infinitesimal success.

I don't have them written down anywhere, alas.  Here are a few that
spring to mind from memory:

When we first meet Marcus, trying to steal crumble mixture: "Bond Jewry"
= want jelly.

In Arth, when they are served "Ardy poo" (nasty food) and someone
describes a piece of meat as "like a slug", he remarks "Oddie Dug" =
horrid slug.

Being interviewed by the High Head, Marcus becomes quite eloquent in
reporting his hunger.  I can't remember everything he asked for, but it
included Gorblay (cornflakes) and Barberday (marmalade), and ended with
"Dillah, I need doad!" = Zillah, I need toast.

In the kitchen, he keeps asking for "damages", and explains this as
"Damn damn bitches" = jam sandwiches.  On being offered a red slather or
a yellow slather, he confidently declares "dyke dead buds" = [I] like
red ones.

When Marceny breaks up the party and has Philo taken away: "Oddy dady
bake Bilo god" = horrid lady make Philo gone.

But of his remark about centaurs, right at the end of the book, "Ort
bake ow.  Bad doubt", I have little more clue than the King.  Presumably
there's something about "horse make house" in there...

Hope this provides food for thought.

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432