[DWJ] Fairest

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 02:09:38 EST 2007

On 12/02/07, Judith Ridge <Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au> wrote:

> > On the other hand, after a weekend in Dublin, swearing I woul;dn't buy
> > books. I spotted Gail Carson Levine's new book. Fairest, in the airport
> > shops. Luckily *after* my luggage had been weighed.
> >

> I was really disappointed by "Fairest". I'll be interested to hear what
> you
> think about it, Farah.

I ended up reading it last night (ahead of all the books I should be
reading).

I like it, but she doesn't know how to end the book, and a very real flaw is
that if you are going to include songs, make sure you know how to write
them. Make sure also that you can manage a set of distinctively different
song voices for each character.

What divides the book from Ella is that Ella was an *argument* book: "*why*
is Cinderella such a sap?". Fairest doesn't have that drive.

Farah