zero-g wounds - Re: [DWJ] Re: Mincemeat

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon Dec 31 13:09:35 EST 2007

Roger said...

> On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 09:28:41AM -0600, Mark Allums wrote:
>
>>Heinlein wrote a scene where the air circulation was stopped temporarily,
>>and
>>as a demonstration, a match was lit (people apparently smoked on space
>>stations
>>in the nineteen-forties and -fifties, not like today) and it stayed lit
>>while
>>it was moved around, but when it was held perfectly still, it went out.
>
> That sounds like Clarke in _Islands in the Sky_; have you a reference
> for Heinlein doing it too?

Yes, I remember the scene being in "Islands in the Sky" too; the older kids
were freaking the hero out by telling him that if the air circulation
stopped, a lit match held upright would go out, and then demonstrating, thus
making him think that the air circulation had stopped...and then they
admitted that actually, if you hold a lit match upright it will always go
out, air circulation or no (I promptly tried this for myself, and it is
true).

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--