zero-g wounds - Re: [DWJ] Re: Mincemeat

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Mon Dec 31 10:28:41 EST 2007

Roger Burton West wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 05:24:39PM +0000, Minnow wrote:
>> Come to that, would the blood be shed if it were all happening in a
>> spaceship without gravity or air-circulation turned on?  It would probably
>> just stay where it was, if it weren't actually pushed somewhere else.

Absolutely; the heart is pumping, hence the term, "blood pressure".

Heinlein wrote a scene where the air circulation was stopped
temporarily, and as a demonstration, a match was lit (people apparently
smoked on space stations in the nineteen-forties and -fifties, not like
today) and it stayed lit while it was moved around, but when it was held
perfectly still, it went out.

There was bloodshed in zero gravity in one of the Star Trek movies, and
blood (Klingon blood, if I remember correctly) was shed in big, wobbly
blobs.

--Mark