[DWJ] 'Ballet Shoes'

Rachel Ganz rachel at compromise.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Dec 31 04:45:55 EST 2007

 >Did anyone watch this? And if so what did you think?
 >
 >My biggest reservation is the tendency of recent children's book adaptations
 >to shift the emphasis from the child to the adult. They did it big time with
 >Magorian's 'Back home", and now again though to a lesser extent with 'Ballet
 >shoes'.

Definitely. There was far little time spent on the children and too much on the adults (who are merely backdrops, though loving and important backdrops) in the story.

All the children were far too old and busty throughout, as far as I was concerned, and there was none of the impressions of hard work, exhaustion and embarrassment that I retained from the books.

It was offensive about Winifred - Posy's only dance was mocking her, rather than the adults. I also thought that the introduction of black characters was done for current PC purposes rather than being an accurate view of London in the inter-war years.

But I did like the doctors, and was quietly amused by the omission of "Beaver-time"

Rachel

Brevity, clarity and cups of tea