[DWJ] Re: Mincemeat

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sat Dec 29 15:02:29 EST 2007

Minnow asked...

> What happens if somebody in one of these zero-g places cuts his finger?
> Blood on all the walls?  In the books it always seems to happen in 'globs'
> that head for the air-filters, so I was assuming no air-circulation would
> mean that it stayed where it was.

Well, having cut the end of my finger open yesterday...it wells up.  It may
not be arterial blood, but it's still under pressure and given an opening,
will come out.  I imagine that, with no gravity or air circulation to push
it around, the blood would sort of blob around the end of the finger.  Which
would probably make seeing how deep the wound is and dealing with it even
more tiresome than with gravity to remove at least some of the blood.

If you shook the cut finger, you'd probably get (small) globs of blood
flying through the...compartment, for want of a better word.  (And then
hitting walls and making messes.)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--