[DWJ] 'Ballet Shoes'

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 14:33:19 EST 2007

On 28/12/2007, Elizabeth Bentley <elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com> wrote:
> Did anyone watch this? And if so what did you think?

I am not ashamed to say I loved it, although I do have this sad
tendency to appreciate anything with either Emilia Fox or Emma Watson
[catches peanuts and lobs them back] who I thought were both
excellent. Maybe this will silence those who criticise Emma's acting
abilities, but I doubt it.

One thing which I think will be a good result is if more people are,
like myself, prompted to read the original book to see what the
differences were.

> My biggest reservation is the tendency of recent children's book adaptations
> to shift the emphasis from the child to the adult. They did it big time with
> Magorian's 'Back home", and now again though to a lesser extent with 'Ballet
> shoes'.

I assume you mean the introduction of the "love triangle". I think,
from inspection of the respective Wikipedia articles to be confirmed
when I read the book, that this was at least in part a device to
reduce the number of characters, a not uncommon tactic.

HTH HAND
--
Phil