[DWJ] Assistive technology

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Fri Dec 28 01:35:38 EST 2007

Minnow wrote:
> deborah pointed out
>
>> oh! And the jabbering device Jamie to dictate Homeward Bounders
>> -- it seems to have a much lower error rate than Dragon
>> NaturallySpeaking. In fact, it puts in all the punctuation and
>> italics for him, without him having to say anything, he
>> specifically pointed that out.
>
> The recording-to-writing device in Isaac Asimov's *Second Foundation* was
> embarrassingly accurate, as I recall.  It even puts in correct punctuation
> if you gabble at it, because Arkady is definitely gabbling when she says
> 'thefutureofseldonsplan' and it transcribes that as 'The Future of Seldon's
> Plan'.   :-)  I think that was called a Transcriber?
>
> But what *I* want is the advanced dentistry that turns up in Heinlein's
> *The Door Into Summer* along with self-lighting cigarettes and zippers that
> don't catch people in themselves.

We have both--the self-lighting cigarette didn't catch on, but perhaps
someone will give it another go.  The zipper tech, we call Velcro.  :)

I want the dentistry, and the cars that drive themselves.  Flying
optional.  Lets all manner of people with handicaps and hindrances be
much more independent.

--Mark