[DWJ] Heyer-Jones

Allison Marles Gryski apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Dec 25 22:24:16 EST 2007

On Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 12:34:45PM +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:
> Allison said: I have been several times surprised at the obscure
> correlation between liking DWJ and GH.
>
> They are both experts at creating worlds that are, but are not, ours. They
> both have strongly individual styles, and a deft hand with character. Both
> English... (tho' GH had some Russian, right?)
>
> Sallyo

And somehow they bring a sense of believability to the rather incredible
events that occur.  I recently read A Secret Countess (aka A Countess
Belowstairs) after hearing it mentioned here.  As I was hoping for a
Georgette Heyer-like story, I was rather disappointed.  The characters
were either nauseatingly perfect or ludicrously evil and the events so
contrived as to be laughable.  It threw into great relief how
well-written Georgette Heyer's books (which I always think of as a
guilty pleasure) are.  What draws me so strongly to both Heyer and DWJ
is the characterization, I think.

Allison