[DWJ] Re: mince pies

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Dec 25 21:23:55 EST 2007

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007, Allison Marles Gryski wrote:

> My grandma (who was a war bride) used to send us a steamed carrot
> pudding.  As a child, I always thought of it as more a vehicle for
> the accompanying hard sauce. Or it was more about the fun of getting
> a wrapped up coin baked into your piece, which she would do when we
> had Christmas there.

A *wrapped up* coin?

When we went to my grandparents' for Christmas, my grandmother would
do a pudding with coins in, but there was none of this *wrapping up*
business.

(The coins were cleaned very carefully before being baked into the
pudding, of course. And they were kept somewhere hygenic the rest of
the year - she had a set of coins specially devoted to being baked
into puddings. Which of course meant we weren't allowed to keep them,
although I suppose since they were all obsolete currency we couldn't
have spent them anyway.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."