[DWJ] Heyer (was Polys)

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Dec 25 19:37:08 EST 2007

>On Dec 25, 2007, at 4:56 PM, Minnow wrote:
>>>

>> Actually, if someone who wasn't type-cast as a Romance writer had
>> produced
>> *Penhallow* it would probably be part of the Eng Lit course at
>> universities
>> by now.

and Otter wrote

>If they hadn't marketed it as a mystery story, it might be a part of
>the Eng Lit course.  It violates one of the cardinal rules of mysteries.
>I was so upset when I read it that I only own it because I had a
>completist attack.
>
>I guess I'll try to give up my preconceptions and reread it.

I suppose it's a mystery.... I always thought it was more Heyer cocking a
snook at a publisher who had her under a contract she wanted to break, so
she wrote a book they were bound to turn down.  And started (in 1942!) with
the words 'Jimmy the Bastard was cleaning boots...' , which probably gave
them minor hysterics.

The thing I liked it for is that everyone in it is *awful*, but every
single one of them is excusably so if one looks at their point of view,
except the villain/victim, who is *irredemably awful*.

There is oodles of scope for discussion, anyhow, or at least I thought so.
But it's rare enough for the Heyer List mostly to leave it alone because so
few people have actually got it and can join in.

Minnow (I have a copy I inherited from my aunt, as the Hemulen and his dress)

ps: if we are going to talk about Heyer maybe we ought to move to the
Masquerade list!  :-)

pps: maybe we ought to move there in droves!  :-))