[DWJ] Re: mince pies

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Dec 25 19:08:44 EST 2007

> On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 01:53:54PM -0500, jodel at aol.com wrote:

>> At the risk of setting off another round of food discissions,
>> permit me
>> to state my envy at those of you who can actually *get* mince pies
>> without having to go out of the way and make them yourself.
>>
>> Mince is hopelessly out of fashion on this side of the pond. (Or
>> maybe
>> just this side of the continent.) I think if you really, really hunt
>> you can find the frozen ones this time of year. But you probably
>> won't
>> find a fresh baked one.

One of my sweetie's childhood memories involves mince pies at her
grandparents' house every Thanksgiving and Christmas.  In Denver.

So, we live in Montrose, CO, now, on the northeast corner of the
desert Southwest.  [And for Christmas we got a _lot_ of snow.  To
which, because we are [a] getting wealthy in years, [b] fat, and
[c] my sweetie had a spinal fusion -- L4-L5, since you ask -- two
weeks ago -- yes, things are going very well --, we say Pfffffft :-P.]
Anyway, I drove to the store today in the truck and what should
there be in the bakery but mince pies!  So we'll have mince pie.

[The reason I went to the store was that we ran out of lox in the
middle of the sweetie making bagel and lox.  Can't have really
good bagel and lox without enough lox.

Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, we'll be having
Chinese takeout for dinner.  It doesn't _sound_ as though
we were both raised as Christians, but we were.]

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats
for they are cunning, and you sleep
with your mouth open.