[DWJ] Polys

Allison Marles Gryski apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Dec 25 16:24:02 EST 2007

On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 01:48:01PM +0000, Roger Burton West wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 01:27:17PM +0000, Minnow wrote:
>
> >There is, Allison, a list with moderators who keep the numbers down to 500.
> >It discusses one book per month, a few chapters a week and no peeking to
> >the end... I think about forty people actually post there, and the rest
> >lurk and complain to the moderators if anyone mentions first-cousin
> >marriages or cross-dressing or other Naughty Things, of which Heyer has
> >rather a lot in some books.
>
> It has its moments, even so. (I think that technically I'm one of the
> moderators these days.) There's another list with rather less traffic
> which has slightly less _formalised_ discussion. I can send you details
> of any or all of these if you contact me privately.

I think I was rather hoping for something like this list, but for GH.
Perhaps this list is more rare in its awesomeness, than I realised.

Maybe we should start a People-on-the-DWJ-list-who-like-GH list?

> >There is a moment at science fiction conventions when someone mentions
> >Heyer in the bar, and all sorts of surprising hairy male
> >space-opera-and-shootie-bang fans start to talk about their favourite
> >moments in *Friday's Child*  or how funny they find Bonamy Ripple.
>
> <not-very-embarrassed wave>
>
> I did very much enjoy the occasion on which I got into an Underground
> train - being male, hairy, quite tall, and wearing on that occasion a
> military webbing jacket as I often do - and got out the book I was
> reading at the time. It happened to be The Grand Sophy, with a _very_
> pink cover. I could hear the minds going "p'tang"...

I always feel rather embarrassed about reading my bright pink Harlequin
copy of Sylvester in public and yet no one would probably look twice at
a woman reading a pink book.  Mostly I have the Pan editions, of which I
am trying to collect a set. (The set is nearly complete too. There are
just 5 that I have, but not in the Pan edition, 1 that is a falling
apart Pan, and only 1 title that I don't have at all ... though I did
decide to get rid of some of the more historical ones that I didn't
think were as entertaining like Simon the Coldheart, My Lord John, and
The Great Escape).

Allison