[DWJ] Re: mince pies

Allison Marles Gryski apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Dec 25 16:12:39 EST 2007

I grew up with the homemade versions (in Canada), so I never really
noticed if they were available in shops.  My grandma (who was a
war bride) used to send us a steamed carrot pudding.  As a child, I
always thought of it as more a vehicle for the accompanying hard sauce.
Or it was more about the fun of getting a wrapped up coin baked into
your piece, which she would do when we had Christmas there.  My Mum
occasionally makes mincemeat and stores it in jars, so she'd always make
mince tarts. Fruit cake was more of a rarity, though she actually
made a batch and mailed me one, with rolled out marzipan for the top,
too.  The result is that I tend to have rather snobby tastes and
storebought would never really satisfy me because it wouldn't taste
right.

ObDWJ .... um... well, I never had invisible poison cakes.  OK, I know
that's a stretch.

Allison