[DWJ] Re: mince pies

jodel at aol.com jodel at aol.com
Tue Dec 25 13:53:54 EST 2007

At the risk of setting off another round of food discissions, permit me
to state my envy at those of you who can actually *get* mince pies
without having to go out of the way and make them yourself.

Mince is hopelessly out of fashion on this side of the pond. (Or maybe
just this side of the continent.) I think if you really, really hunt
you can find the frozen ones this time of year. But you probably won't
find a fresh bakeds one.

They are the american style sort which are the wrong porportion of
crust to filling, which may be one reason for the unpopularity. But in
these "health-consious" times it almost seems to be a point of honor to
declare oneself above most of the traditional holiday sweets. It's
virtually impossible to find a proper dark furitcake, for example.
Unless, of course, you are prepared to pay an arm and a leg for one at
a gourmet market. (And few of those have them.)

Steamed puddings didn't survive over here as holiday fare until well
before my own time, so I can't speak with any authority on those. But
you used to be able to find packaged ones to heat up in the foreign
section of the market, and you can't now.

On the other hand, I still was still seeing the nasty ribbon candy
which cuts your tongue to shreds in the drugstores up through this last
week...