[DWJ] Polys

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Tue Dec 25 08:48:01 EST 2007

On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 01:27:17PM +0000, Minnow wrote:

>There is, Allison, a list with moderators who keep the numbers down to 500.
>It discusses one book per month, a few chapters a week and no peeking to
>the end... I think about forty people actually post there, and the rest
>lurk and complain to the moderators if anyone mentions first-cousin
>marriages or cross-dressing or other Naughty Things, of which Heyer has
>rather a lot in some books.

It has its moments, even so. (I think that technically I'm one of the
moderators these days.) There's another list with rather less traffic
which has slightly less _formalised_ discussion. I can send you details
of any or all of these if you contact me privately.

>There is a moment at science fiction conventions when someone mentions
>Heyer in the bar, and all sorts of surprising hairy male
>space-opera-and-shootie-bang fans start to talk about their favourite
>moments in *Friday's Child*  or how funny they find Bonamy Ripple.

<not-very-embarrassed wave>

I did very much enjoy the occasion on which I got into an Underground
train - being male, hairy, quite tall, and wearing on that occasion a
military webbing jacket as I often do - and got out the book I was
reading at the time. It happened to be The Grand Sophy, with a _very_
pink cover. I could hear the minds going "p'tang"...

Roger