[DWJ] What this list has given me

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Dec 25 08:27:17 EST 2007

>On Dec 24, 2007, at 4:47 AM, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:
>
>> One of the most important things this list has given me is book
>> recommendations.

and Otter enthused

>Yes!  Yes!  I got Megan Whalen Turner and Lois McMaster
>Bujold from this list.  Thanks ever so!

but added

>I don't know how long I've been here, due to some
>hard drive disasters, but I find I've been saving messages
>written by Minnow since 2004.

That is a truly terrifying thought.  Why me?  So that you can read them
before breakfast when you want to vent your spleen harmlessly?

>I first found the list when I was rereading Howl's Moving
>Castle for the umpteenth time and started wondering about
>Calcifer's saucepan song.  It was clear to me that it referred
>to an actual song, but living on the west side of the Pond,
>I wasn't familiar with it.  So I started searching the Web
>and what should I find?  Ta da!

The words of that song are really, really mundane.  It was a great
disappointment to me when a Welsh-speaking friend of mine sang it at us in
English.

And those of us who live in Bristol know that the Welsh rugby fans come
across the bridge from Wales *without passports* and sing it, loudly, in
jazz pubs -- and they sing it *flat*.  But at least they don't sing it in
English, mostly.

Minnow