[DWJ] What this list has given me

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Mon Dec 24 06:47:21 EST 2007

One of the most important things this list has given me is book
recommendations. Not only do I enjoy the books I've read through
recommendations here: more than once I've taken action and purchased
translation rights to the books, so that they can be translated into Hebrew.
"Spindle's End" by Robin McKinley and "Sabriel" by Garth Nix have already
been published. Come to think of it, even the Hebrew edition of "His Dark
Materials" owes something to this list, but that's a long story. Soon to be
published: "Journey to the River Sea" by Eva Ibbotson, "Fly by Night" by
Frances Hardinge, and "Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief" by Rick
Riordan. In other words, an entire public in Israel has been influenced by
this list...

When I was translating "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", a former
member of the list mailed me a packet of sherbet lemons. That act has given
me a fantastic anecdote to tell when I lecture about my work. It always gets
a laugh, and also boosts my credibility just that wee bit.

I made a special trip to England for the DWJ pubmeet, which was a lot of
fun, and once or twice I've met up with people from the list - always nice.

I've learned about food differences all over the English speaking world.

I pick up a lot of academic theory from this list, from Deborah in
particular.

A theory I posted on this list was quoted in a book. I think that's the only
time I've ever been quoted in a book!

This list represents a great bunch of people, extremely well read, witty and
sharp, who are more often than not spot on with their recommendations. Also
just fun. And I have to give this list credit for being one of the longest
lasting lists in which I've ever participated. Some lists wind down after a
few years, or get injected with bad blood, or simply never take off. This
one has occasional downtime but overall has been going strong for years.