[DWJ] Howard and Quentin for Kait

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Sun Dec 23 20:37:47 EST 2007

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007, Charles Butler wrote:
> what's so risible about the idea of a tourism as an academic subject?
> (It's not the preserve of ex-polys incidentally - you can find degrees in it
> at Westminster, Exeter, Hull, Strathclyde, Stirling and Surrey, for starters
> - and Glasgow offers a BSc in 'Adventure Tourism'.)

In fact, one of America's premier universities (Cornell) hosts
what may be his country's most well-respected school of hotel
administration (http://www.hotelschool.cornell.edu/), and travel
and tourism are definitely part of that degree.

In fact, since travel and tourism are the primary funders of many
cities and some countries, they definitely should get formal
academic respect.

> It may be
> partly vocational, but then so are engineering, law, business and medicine -
> and I've not seen anyone say they're unsuitable subjects for university
> study.

It's a very weird how societal attitudes toward academia sneer at
"pure" academia for being ivory tower, irrelevant, jargon-laden,
etc., and yet simultaneously sneer at vocational education for
being practical. It's prevalent and very difficult to avoid. I
know that my children's literature degree, which is purely
theory, has been known to crawl through my head and sneer at my
library science degree, which is primarily vocational. And I got
both of those from the same institution! I hate when I find
myself apologizing for the library science degree, and yet it is
very difficult for me not to, because all of those societal
attitudes are entrenched in me.

> ObDWJ: *Dark Lord of Derkholm* has always struck me as (amongst other
> things) a very penetrating study of the deleterious effects of Western
> tourism on Third World cultures.

Oh, excellent point. A fully colonized world which has had an
imperialist force impose Tours on it from outside, which is
forced to dress up in false national costumes in order to impress
the tourists. And many of the citizens have bought into the
paradigm out of sheer practicality, playing good little
tour-leaders for Chesney.  Huh.

-deborah
--
Always remember to demand more of yourself than anyone else.  Otherwise you
become merely a tiresome rebellious young girl who wants that the whole