[DWJ] Howard and Quentin for Kait

Sally Odgers sodgers at iinet.net.au
Sun Dec 23 18:30:35 EST 2007

Hi, Kait;

somebody probably answered this already (I'm on digest), but if not-

Howard Sykes is the hero of "Archer's Goon", one of my favourite DWJ books.
Howard is 13, lives with his little sister Awful, his music teacher mother
Catriona and his writer-father Quentin, who also teaches literature at the
poly (which seems to be a kind of college). Also in the mix is Fifi, the
student lodger. Quentin is irascible (can't spell that), and Catriona tense.
Awful yells a lot. Howard worries. Yet, they are a happy family, and they
depend on one another.

Come to think of it, I think I always like the DWJs with a sense of "happy
family" underlying. Howl's Moving Castle is one of my top favourites. Howl,
Sophie and Michael and Calcifer are - well, family. In Deep Secret, Maree
and Nick are family, and Rupert and his brothers have a lot of affection for
one another. Someone said Mig and Mum from Black Maria. Then there's Polly
and Granny. It seems that even though there are lots of horrible family
members in DWJ books, she can have loving relationships within the family,
even if it doesn't include everyone.

Sallyo