[DWJ] DWJ article

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sun Dec 23 10:29:09 EST 2007

>On 22/12/07 13:21, "Minnow" <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> And she did not mellow with age.  If anything she got more manipulative and
>> ghastly.

Elizabeth Bentley commented:

>I heard Anthony Horowitz the other day saying that age accentuates your
>personality, so if you are not nice when younger, you will be positively
>evil as an old person. He was specifically relating this to his grandmother,
>whom he and his sister seem to have absolutely hated.

A bit like the old chestnut about people saying things they don't mean when
they're drunk.  When people are drunk they tend to say things they *do*
mean: they just didn't mean to say them!

I always admired Arthur Ransome for not redeeming the Great-Aunt by making
her well-meaning in any helpful way at the end of the book, as it were.
People *say* 'she means well, perhaps', but they don't go all
sweetness-and-light about it.

She was called Maria, too.

Minnow